This modular laboratory course guides students through a molecular biology workflow identical to that performed in a working science lab.
- 6–8 week series of laboratory activities made up of modular kits
- Purchase whole series at once, or one module at a time
- Apply molecular biology skills and techniques to complete a real-world research project
- Make mistakes, learn from them and still complete every step of the workflow
- Students clone, sequence, and analyze a housekeeping gene in the GAPDH family, taken from a plant of their choice
- Sequencing services not included
The Cloning and Sequencing Explorer Series gives your students the tools to perform novel research and contribute to the world's body of scientific knowledge. Over 8 modules, students use classic and cutting-edge molecular biology techniques to clone and sequence a portion of the GAPC gene from a plant of their choice.
The Cloning and Sequencing Explorer Series guides students through the following experimental workflow steps:
1. Extract genomic DNA from plants
2. Amplify a GAPDH gene using PCR and analyze using electrophoresis
3. Purify the PCR product
4. Ligate the PCR product into a plasmid
5. Transform the ligated plasmid into bacteria
6. Grow minipreps of the transformed bacteria
7. Isolate plasmid DNA and analyze by restriction digestion
8. Sequence plasmid DNA (sequencing service not included)
9. Analyze GAPDH gene sequence using bioinformatics
Delivery information: Order will be shipped immediately. Must be stored appropriately upon receipt. Sequencing service is not included.