Learn about acids and bases and what the pH of common household items is.
- Students will learn how to use pH strips and test common household items to determine if they are acids or bases.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: 5-PS1-3, 5-PS1-5
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include cause and effect, scale proportion and quantity
Students will be introduced to acids and bases and test a dilute acid and dilute base with neutral litmus paper to learn how pH strips indicate if something is acidic or basic. Then, they will test common items that could be found around their household to determine if they are acids or bases. Extra litmus paper is included if students want to test more items found in their home to gain a greater understanding of acids and bases. The kit contains an Instruction Manual and enough materials for 2 groups.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: CHOKING HAZARD: Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.