Learn about chromatography, the oldest documented technique to separate chemical substances.
- Students will perform paper chromatography on 3 individual dyes, along with a mixture of dyes, to determine the composition of the mixture.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2, HS-PS1-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include Patterns
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data, planning and carrying out investigations
Chromatography is the oldest documented technique to separate chemical substances. In this activity, students will perform paper chromatography on three individual dyes, along with a mixture of dyes, to determine the composition of the mixture. Students will understand not only the components of a chromatography system, but also why different substances separate and move at different rates within the system. An Instruction Manual and enough materials for 2 groups are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Crystal Violet and Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.