Learn the history and nature of DNA and DNA structure, genetic inheritance, and genetic expression.
- Isolate DNA from plant material to understand the role of DNA and proteins in genetic expression
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations HS-LS1-1, HS-LS3-1, HS-LS3-2, HS-LS3-3
- Disciplinary core ideas LS1.A, LS3.A, LS3.B
- Cross cutting concepts include structure and function, cause and effect, scale proportion and quantity, science is a human endeavor
- Constructing explanations and designing solutions, asking questions and defining problems, analyzing and interpreting data, engaging in argument from evidence
In this lab students will learn the history of the discovery of DNA and DNA structure. They will understand the nature of genetic inheritance and the role of DNA and proteins in genetic expression while using biological detergents, enzymes, and ethanol to isolate DNA from plant material. You will need to supply the plant material. Kit contains an Instruction Manual and enough material for 2 groups of students.
Delivery information: Includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.