Learn the role of a forensic scientist tasked with analyzing and identifying unknown substances collected at a crime scene.
- Students will take on the role of a forensic scientist and use their observation skills, senses, and a series of chemical tests to determine the identity of 2 mystery substances
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include Patterns
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data
When collecting evidence at a crime scene, investigators may encounter substances that they are not able to identify in the field. These substances will be sent to a crime lab, where a forensic scientist will work to analyze and identify them. In this experiment, students will take on the role of a forensic scientist and use their observation skills, senses, and a series of chemical tests to determine the identity of two mystery substances. Kit contains an Instruction Manual and enough materials for 2 groups of students.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Respirable crystalline silica, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.