Understand the effect of light energy on a redox reaction.
- Understand and demonstrate redox reactions
- Aligned to NGSS practices
- Cross cutting concepts: patterns
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Learn engineering practices: analyzing and interpreting data
In this lab a thionin-iron solution is prepared. Exposing the solution to light energy causes the colored thionin to be reduced by iron (II) ions, resulting in a clear solution. When half of the solution, in a single container, is exposed to light it will turn clear while the half not exposed to light will remain colored.
Caution: WARNING: This product can expose you to chemicals including strong inorganic acid mists containing sulfuric acid, which are known to the state of California to cause cancer. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov