Learn about two forms of passive transport: diffusion and osmosis.
- Students will compare and contrast the processes of osmosis and diffusion and use a colorimetric test to demonstrate the movement of a solute across a semi-permeable membrane
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-LS1-2, MS-LS1-3, HS-LS1-2, HS-LS1-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS1.A
- Cross cutting concepts include systems and system models, structure and function, stability and change
- Engineering practices include developing and using models, planning and carrying out investigations
This lab allows you to learn about two forms of passive transport: diffusion and osmosis. You will compare and contrast similarities and differences in the processes of diffusion and osmosis. Use a colorimetric test to demonstrate the movement of a solute across a semi-permeable membrane.
Set up an environment likely to facilitate osmosis and gather data to determine whether or not osmosis may have occurred. Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.