Learn the history of the discovery of DNA and DNA structure, the nature of genetic inheritance, and the tole of DNA and proteins in genetic expression.
- Students will isolate DNA from plant material
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: HS-LS1-1, HS-LS3-1, HS-LS3-2, HS-LS3-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS1.A, LS3.A, LS3.B
- Cross cutting concepts include structure and function, cause and effect, scale porportion and quantity, science is a human endeavor
- Engineering practices include constructing explanations and designing solutions, asking questions and defining problems, analyzing and interpreting data, engaging in argument from evidence
In this lab you will learn the history of the discovery of DNA and DNA structure. Understand the nature of genetic inheritance and the role of DNA and proteins in genetic expression while using biological detergents, enzymes, and ethanol to isolate DNA from plant material. You need to supply the plant material.
Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.