Learn the importance of the digestive system and the role that enzymes play in the human body.
- Students will expose carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids to different digestive enzymes and determine their effectiveness
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-LS1-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS1.A
- Cross cutting concepts include systems and system models, science is a human endeavor
- Engineering practices include engaging in argument from evidence
All the food in the world is of no use if the human body does not have the ability to extract necessary nutrients from it. With this activity, students will be able to expose three nutrients (carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids) to different digestive enzymes. These samples will be compared to nutrients to which no enzymes are added and chemical tests will be used to determine if the enzymes were effective in digesting the compounds.
Upon completion, students will not only understand the importance of the digestive system but also the vital role enzymes play in releasing nutrients from food and converting them to a form usable by the body. Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Phenolphthalein, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.