Learn about Mendelian genetics and determine patterns of inheritance.
- Students will simulate Mendel's work and simulate both monohybrid and dihybrid crosses as well as determine genotypic and phenotypic ratios
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: HS-LS4-3, HS-LS4-4, HS-LS4-5
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS4.B, LS4.C
- Cross cutting concepts include patterns, cause and effect
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data, constructing explanations and designing solutions, engaging in argument from evidence
In this activity, students can simulate Mendel's work and determine patterns of inheritance. Using special chips and Innovating Science's exclusive 'double dice', students will be able to simulate both monohybrid and dihybrid crosses.
After the crosses, students will be able determine genotypic and phenotypic ratios for select traits and compare their values to the theoretical 'ideal' values as put forth by Mendel. Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.