Learn about separation science through electrophoresis with colored dyes to show molecular movement.
- Students will set up an agarose gel, load the dyes into the gel, and visualize the separation of the different molecules.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS2-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS2.B
- Cross cutting concepts include cause and effect
- Engineering practices include asking questions and defining problems
Introduce your students to this valuable separation science in a safe and colorful manner. Unlike DNA and other molecules which cannot be seen during electrophoresis, this activity uses dyes that can be observed during the actual procedure, providing visual reinforcement of the forces driving molecular movement and separation in the electrophoresis process.
Kit contains enough materials to run ten 20 ml agarose gels (actual number of runs may vary based on your equipment). Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included. Not included but required are agarose electrophoresis chambers, electrophoresis power supplies and micropipettes capable of measuring 10 µl.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Crystal Violet, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.