Learn about the nutrients in food including proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids.
- Students will test for proteins, sugar, starch, and lipids to identify food nutrients
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include Patterns
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data
This experiment will help students understand the importance of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids in living organisms. They will learn to identify a positive test result for proteins using biuret reagent and examine the reaction between Benedict's reagent and a simple sugar. Using iodine/potassium iodide they will test for the presence of starch and test for the presence of lipids using a fat-soluble dye.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.