Learn about growing bacteria, their morphology, and bacterial staining techniques.
- Students will collect and grow bacteria, and then perform two different bacterial staining techniques
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-LS1-1, MS-LS1-2
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS1.A
- Cross cutting concepts include scale proportion and quantity, structure and function
- Engineering practices include developing and using models, planning and carrying out investigations
Bacteria, good and bad, is all around us. In this activity students will collect and grow bacteria and then learn techniques for studying the bacteria they have grown. They will perform a simple staining technique on bacterial cells to study the morphology. They will also perform a differential staining technique, Gram staining, on bacterial cells and determine if the collected bacteria are Gram-positive, Gram-negative, or both.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Crystal Violet and Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.