Learn the concepts of food webs and food chains through a specialized digestive tract.
- Students will dissect owl pellets and identify the small animals that are prey for owls.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: 4-LS1-1, 5-LS2-1, MS-LS1-4
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS1.A, LS2.A, LS2.B, LS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include systems and system models, Cause and effect
- Engineering practices include engaging in argument from evidence, developing and using models
Owls have a specialized digestive tract which helps them expel the indigestible parts of their prey in pellet form. Dissecting an owl pellet can teach students the concepts of food webs and food chains while identifying the small animals that are prey for the owls. The pellets are heat sterilized and individually wrapped.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Lead and lead compounds, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.