Learn about chromatography, the oldest documented technique to separate chemical substances.
- Students will perform paper chromatography on 3 individual dyes and a mixture of dyes to determine if all 3 dyes are in the mixture.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2, HS-PS1-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include Patterns
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data, planning and carrying out investigations
Chromatography is the oldest documented technique to separate chemical substances. In this activity, students will perform paper chromatography on three individual dyes and a mixture of dyes to determine if all three dyes are in the mixture.
Students will understand not only the components of a chromatography system but also why different substances move at different rates within the system. The kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Crystal Violet and Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.