Learn about polymer chemistry polymer properties like cross-linking and super-absorbance.
- Students will perform 3 polymer activities - making polymer worms, making polymer slime, and making polymer snow.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2, MS-PS1-3, HS-PS1-2, HS-PS2-6
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include structure and function, patterns
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data, obtaining evaluating and communicating information
Polymers affect every aspect of our daily lives. From the plastics we use to the clothes we wear;
Polymer chemistry is everywhere. In this kit, students will perform three fun and fascinating activities involving polymers. In the first two activities, students will perform a cross-linking procedure on polymers to create polymer 'worms' and the classic 'slime' In the third activity, students will investigate the properties of a super-absorbent polymer, capable of absorbing hundreds of times its own weight in water, to create instant polymer snow.The kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.