Learn about the importance of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids in living organisms.
- Students will learn to test for presence of proteins, sugars, starch, and lipids.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B
- Cross cutting concepts include Patterns
- Engineering practices include analyzing and interpreting data
Understand the importance of proteins, carbohydrates, and lipids in living organisms. Students will learn to identify a positive test result for proteins using biuret reagent, examine the reaction between Benedict's reagent and a simple sugar, use iodine/potassium iodide to test for the presence of starch, and test for the presence of lipids using a fat-soluble dye. Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copymasters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.