Learn about blood typing and how it is useful in a forensic investigation.
- Students will act as lab technicians and use blood typing techniques to aid in solving a crime
- Aligned to NGSS practices
- Performance expectations: MS-PS1-2, MS-LS3-2
- Disciplinary core ideas: PS1.A, PS1.B, LS1.B, LS3.A, LS3.B
- Cross cutting concepts include structure and function, cause and effect
- Engineering practices include developing and using models
Though the use of blood type in a forensic investigation is not enough to prove guilt, it may aid in exonerating a potential suspect. In this activity, students act as lab technicians and assist investigators by examining evidence collected at a crime scene. Students first use a presumptive blood test to determine if a substance on a stained piece of cloth may be blood, and then determine the blood type of a sample collected at the scene. Students then compare their results to those of samples provided from two suspects. Kit contains enough materials for 10 groups. Teacher's manual and student study guide copy masters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.
Caution: This product can expose you to chemicals including Phenolphthalein and Methanol/Methyl isobutyl ketone, which are known to the State of California to cause cancer and reproductive harm. For more information go to http://www.P65Warnings.ca.gov.