Learn about cholesterol levels and how they can have a major impact on your health and your risk of heart disease.
- Students will measure the total cholesterol level of 4 patients using test strips and simulated bloof. After analyzing the results and lifestyles of each patient, students will recommend treatment plans to help the patients lower their cholesterol.
- Aligned to NGSS Practices
- Performance expectations: MS-LS4-5, HS-LS1-3
- Disciplinary core ideas: LS4.B, LS1.A
- Cross cutting concepts include cause and effect, interdependence of science engineering and technology, science addresses questions about the natural and material world, stability and change
- Engineering practices include obtaining evaluating and communication information, planning and carrying out investigations, scientific investigations use a variety of methods
Cholesterol levels can have a major impact on your health and your risk of heart disease. In this activity, students will measure the total cholesterol level for four patients using test strips and simulated blood. After analyzing their results and the lifestyles of each patient, students will recommend treatment plans to help the patients lower their cholesterol. The cholesterol levels for each patient will be tested again, and students will determine whether or not their treatment plans were successful. Kit contains enough materials for 15 groups. Teacher's Manual and Student Study Guide copy masters are included.
Delivery information: Kit includes instructional manual and SDS booklet.