In Search of My Father Kit
Biology Educational Materials
Genetics Learning Activities
This simulation experiment demonstrates the value of mitochondrial and chromosomal DNA testing for genetic identification.
- Activity Uses Chromosomal and Mitochondrial DNA
- Time Requirement: 45 Minutes
- Students Simulate a Paternity Test
- Material for 10 Student Groups
- Students Learn to How to Process Genetic Identification Tests
The experiment focuses on a scenario where two young boys were separated from their respective parents during a civil war. After a decade of separation, the relationship of the boys’ mothers is first determined through mitochondrial DNA testing. Additional testing of chromosomal DNA provides further information for the identification of the two boys' respective fathers.
The kit includes materials for 10 student groups to complete the activity in 45 minutes.