Simulate the Simultaneous Occurrence of Forward and Reverse Reactions that Helps Develop the Concept of Chemical Equilibrium
- Reaction rates depend on the properties of the reacting species
- Models are useful tools for exploring and understanding natural phenomena
- Explore the state of equilibrium where the rates of production of products and reactants are equal in chemical reactions
- The equilibrium constant, Keq, for a chemical reaction describes the relative proportion of each chemical once equilibrium is reached
- Requires one 50 minute class period to complete
Students use an innovative LAB-AIDS® model to simulate the simultaneous occurrence of forward and reverse reactions. This mechanical system provides a simple look at dynamic equilibrium and allows students to collect data that helps develop the concept of chemical equilibrium and the equilibrium constant (Keq). They then use their understanding of Keq to calculate the predicted results for other "reactions."
Ordering information: Kit includes Graduated Reactant Bottles LAB-AIDS®; Unmarked Bottles; Round-collared Equilibrium Plugs® , LAB-AIDS®; Square-collared Equilibrium Plugs®, LAB-AIDS®; Hexagonal-collared Equilibrium Plugs®, LAB-AIDS®; and Blue food coloring.