Using the Normal Mitosis kit, students make their own microscope slides while learning about mitosis.
- Purpose for Students: to Gain Experience in Microscopy Technique
- Students Observe Cells Undergoing Mitosis
- Squash Cells Demonstrate Staining Procedures
- Teacher's Guide with SDS Included
- Time Required: One 50 Minute Class Period
They prepare squash slides, gain experience in microscopy technique and staining, and observe all stages of mitosis.
The entire procedure can be performed in one laboratory period.
Ordering information: This kit includes a teacher’s guide with SDS, student worksheets and guides, microscopic slides, cover slips, tissue transfer brushes, tissue treating trays with cavities A and B, root tips scientifically grown and fixed, vial, solution A (alcohol and hydrochloric acid), solution B (alcohol, acetic acid, and chloroform), and aceto-orcein stain. Microscopes are required but not included.